Monday, January 14, 2013

When I grow up

What would you like to be when you grow up?

At 43, I suspect I am grown. 

My brothers started on a new career at around this age - this included doing a new university degree before post-graduate training.  It is a bit early to tell how it is going to work out for them but you have to admire their persistance.

I am not sure if I can be bothered with another degree.  The problem I have is that I was fine with my previous career.  I just got a bit bored with it and it was difficult with little monsters.  I don't feel a dreadful need to launch into some new field of endeavour.

When I was a youngster I rather fancied being a meteorologist.  I still fancy it a bit.  I would need to be taken on in the graduate intake at the Bureau of Meteorology and I would need more physics for that.  I always hated physics and the thought of having to take it up again at this late stage makes me feel slightly ill.  Perhaps I should abandon all thoughts.  There is probably quite a bit of physics is meteorology.  And computing (double ick) and applied mathematics (triple ick).

This mid-career malaise is all rather tiresome. 

It would be nice to snap my fingers and have the whole career-thingie go away. I would like to be working somewhere not too far away in an interesting role with civilised people part time, so I can pick up the monsters from school.  Hmm, that sounds easy.  I'll just pop off and do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment