Monday, February 4, 2013

Crazy Pink Fluff, or is that Blancmange?

Further to the wonderful world of culinary dogs, last week I had a recipe that required 20ml of evaporated milk.  This left me with 390mL left in the tin.  Now I don't know about you but I never use evaporated milk.  What the hell should I do with it?

As in other cases of culinary desperation, I turned to my mother.  Apparently, if you cool it in the fridge, make some jelly til it is just about to set, then whip the milk then add the jelly, you have instant fluff, or blancmange, or whatever you want to call it.

Well, I made the jelly but I was somewhat inattentive and missed the "just set" stage by, say, a good 24 hours.  OK, lets go backwards a bit and whack it in a sink filled with warm water to soften it up.  Does jelly re-set?

Then beat the milk.  Will it beat up?  You betcha red pants it will.  Huge and fluffy.  Add the jelly, bit more beating, and I have a big bowl of pink fluff.  I tried it.  Kinda boring and pointless - like artfully arranged pink air.

Ah, but I am not a 5 or 6 year old girl.  Lets try it on them.  Hmm, not a resounding success.  This stuff is so damned fluffy, after a big bowl you feel as though you haven't eaten at all.  And it made a lot - did I mention?

So, several days go by with pink fluff served on various things - pink fluff on peaches, on strawberries, on a ham sandwich (not really but I was getting a bit desperate) and I still have more fluff.

Don't tell me it's magic fluff, like that bloody cut and come again pudding of my childhood.  No, there is just so much of it it seems to be reproducing.

Eventually I just chucked it in the sink - let me tell you pink fluff is a bit of a bugger to get down the drain hole.  Reluctant to flush, if you get my drift.

And that was the adventure of the pink fluff.  I bet you wish you were me.  It is so exciting I can hardly stand it myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment